April 12, 2011

Read of the Week

The mailman just delivered my order from Amazon.  I love getting packages!

Along with random vacuum cleaner filters, a bag of cheapie hpt tests and a book for my friend's son I bought Laura Day's "Welcome to Your Crisis:  How to Use the Power of Crisis to Create the Life You Want".  

I figured the happenings of the last few weeks have all qualified as true crises.

Right from the beginning the author compares the medical word "crisis" with the other version of the word which is typically associated with a life-changing situation.  In the medical sense a crisis happens when the person's health is at its most precarious.  The person is either going to improve or not.  If this premise is applied to a life-changing situation then a crisis is a point where you're either going to croak or jump up off the hospital bed, flex your Popeye arm muscles and  drop kick your oxygen tank out of the way.

I like the author's theory that one can learn from a crisis and perhaps emerge as a stronger and better person.

3 comments:

  1. I love Amazon deliveries - and Amazon Prime is the best. That book sounds amazing. I really do agree with the theory that you can learn and grow from a crisis, but it doesn't change the fact that the crisis you're in right now really sucks.

    I also missed the news about your mom passing away last week. Your post was so moving; she was lucky to have you as a daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great book. I hope your crisis brings you great things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. I will just be praying that you don't have any more crisis's to deal with any time soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?